Read on to meet our three new girls!
recently come to the attention of The Small Things. Priska* is a 16 year-old girl from the Arusha
region, who has now had to leave her village and her family because of the
stigma attached to her experience of abuse.
across the world, it is not uncommon for women who have been sexually assaulted
to face isolation and rejection in their communities. Many have little access
to services or support and go on to face homelessness, poverty and psychological
offers residential care to women and girls in similar situations. Pippi House provides vocational training, medical
care and psychological support. This gives those living there the chance to
continue to learn and hopefully progress onto a job or higher education.
she can continue to live and learn there. Her care is currently being funded by
The Small Things, but because she is not part of Nkoaranga Orphanage we are
restricted to offering her temporary support. We would like to find sponsors to enable Priska to stay at Pippi House
for the rest of her education (approximately 2 – 3 years), by which time she
will hopefully be in a better position to move forward with her life.
believe that Pippi House is the best place for her to be. Her future should not
be ruined by the acts of those who attacked her. We hope to find sponsorship so
that she may build her confidence again, receive the
vital support and friendships she needs, and flourish as an independent young
woman with ambition and education.
for purposes of anonymity)
What will I receive by becoming a sponsor?
What can I do from home for my sponsored child?
Sponsors are also encouraged to send letters, birthday or holiday presents, and can track their child’s progress through our website and Facebook page.
How much does it cost to sponsor a child?
We have five levels of sponsorship available. These are:
• Rafiki (Friend) sponsorship: $15 or ₤10 per month covers your child’s toys, games, trips off the property, and medical care.
• Mualim (Teacher) sponsorship: $30 or ₤20 per month covers your child’s day preschool, plus buys books for the orphanage.
• Shangazi (Aunt) or Mjomba (Uncle) sponsorship: $50 or ₤30 per month covers your child’s food and vitamins.
• Mzazi (Parent) sponsorship: $75 or ₤50 per month covers the mama’s salaries and the child’s housing and clothes.
• Shujaa (Hero) sponsorship: $150 or ₤100 per month covers all of the above! Shujaa sponsors can also choose to help cover our administrative and other costs by adding on an additional amount per month.